The series of .29 cuin. (5 cc) engines marketed by the Japanese Fuji company during the "classic" (pre-Schnuerle) era was the only displacement category with which the company was continuously involved throughout that period. The very first Fuji product was a sand-cast .29 cuin. crankshaft front rotary valve (FRV) glow-plug model which made its debut in early 1949, some months in advance of the debut of the ubiquitous Fuji .099 series later in the same year.
These well-made and fine-running engines very clearly reflected Fuji's marked preference for ploughing their own furrow in design terms. The first five .29 cuin. models were all sand-cast radially-ported units having blind-bored cast iron cylinders. There were also two successive disc rear rotary valve (RRV) radially-ported twin ball-race "racing" variants during the same period.
Even when the company finally jumped on the dominant cross-flow loop scavenging bandwagon in late 1952, the "Silver Arrow" model with which they did so continued the tradition by remaining a refreshingly out-of-the-rut design having a character and charm all its own. It was only in late 1955 that Fuji finally abandoned its individualistic approach and joined the rest of the world in producing what amounted to Enya clones embodying little design originality.
A full history of the Fuji .29 cuin. series during the classic era may be found elsewhere on this website.